This is a highly readable autobiography in which Derek Bell recalls his diverse motorsport life, including his eight classic 24-hour endurance sports car race victories.
Derek Bell has enjoyed one of the most successful, diverse and wide-ranging careers of any British racing driver. In this highly readable autobiography he recalls a life in motor racing that spanned over 40 years and was packed with achievement and diversity. Bell is best-known as the consummate endurance sports car driver who won the Le Mans 24 Hours five times and the Daytona 24 Hours three times, teamed with racing greats such as Jacky Ickx, Hans Stuck and Al Holbert. Besides sports car racing, he has competed in many different cars and categories, from a works seat with Ferrari in Formula 1 in 1968 to rally driving a Vauxhall. This is a uniquely rich and entertaining story that will appeal to all motor racing enthusiasts.
- Early successes and setbacks: climbing the ladder through F3 and F2, leading to F1 with Ferrari; subsequent F1 drives came in McLaren, Brabham, March, Surtees and Tecno cars, but success came elsewhere.
- Personalities and problems: mentors such as his stepfather (‘The Colonel'), Tom Wheatcroft and John Wyer; fellow racers such as Jacky Ickx, David Purley and Mike Hailwood; ‘problem' exercises such as British Leyland's mismanaged Jaguar XJ Coupé racing effort of 1976–77.
- Special relationship with Porsche: driving the famed 917 for JW Automotive in 1971; 935 and 936 cars before the Group C category arrives for 1982; works driver of Porsche's all-conquering 956 and 962 from 1982 to 1987, including winning World Endurance Championship (1985) and World Sports Car Championship (1986); subsequent Porsche achievements in America.
- Love/hate emotions of Le Mans: first visit in 1970, with a works Ferrari 512M; five wins, the first with Mirage (1975), then four in Porsches (1981 to 1987); a proud third place in 1995 after leading for 16 hours, sharing a McLaren with son Justin.
- Endurance racing technique: the physical and mental demands; pacing yourself over 124 hours; the importance of team-mates, exemplified by the partnership with Jacky Ickx that brought three Le Mans wins.
- A new life in the USA: racing more and more in America, where the last of his eight wins in 24-hour races came at Daytona in 1989, aged 47; racing on through the 1990s while in his 50s, mainly in American sports car events; settling to live in Florida.
Your satisfaction is our goal. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the merchandise within 7 days for an exchange or refund in the form of original payment. The item returned must be in its original product packaging in salable condition and mailed in an appropriate size shipping box.
Please inspect your order upon delivery. If your merchandise arrives damaged or defective, please contact Customer Service immediately. Customers only have 7 days after the delivered product arrives to exchange or return damaged product and 48 hours to prove product is defected or damaged after filing claim.
Return Information: Shipping and handling charges are not refundable
In-Store Pick-UpCustomers have up to 30 days to pick up orders under our In-Store Pick-Up option. After 30 days if the order is not retrieved by the customer the order will be considered forfeited and returns and/or exchanges cannot be processed.
Special OrdersOrders for 'Special Order' items canceled more than one week from the order date are subject to a 25% restocking fee as governed by the manufacturer
Oversized and special delivery items may be subject to a delivery charge noted on the product page.
Some oversized and white glove delivery items require additional shipping time and may be shipped by truck within the contiguous U.S., as noted on the product page.
Items ordered together may not arrive in the same box. Most packages will be shipped by Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex Smart Post option will have Fed-Ex transport package to your local USPS and final delivery will be made by your local mail carrier.
There is a 9 lb. limit for delivery to P.O. Boxes.
Shipping charges are non-refundable
To determine shipping rates, simply begin the checkout process. After entering the address information, you can review your order with the shipping charges added.
Most products can be shipped to international addresses, though some oversized items cannot be shipped to an international address.
Recipient is responsible for all applicable customs duties, tariffs, taxes, or Value Added Tax (VAT), which are collected by the carrier upon delivery.
Delivery should take 5–7 business days to reach your country provided that there are no unforeseen delays in customs.